Monday, September 26, 2016

Halloween Tag

Hi Friends:  Today's post is a Halloween tag.  Since the spooky season is fast approaching, I thought it was a great theme for the techniques I'm using.  Please see below for photos, process, challenges, and supplies.  Have a super day!





Process:
This tag uses the 2 techniques in the Tim Holtz September 2016 tag:  Distress Patina and Alcohol Ink Resist.  As in the tag post, it also uses the distress ink stamp resist on yupo.  I started with a blank tag and used Distress Paints to create the Distress Patina effect.  I also used the technique on the Alpha Part used on the tag.  I used Distress Inks to add some shading and did some water splatters to the background.  Next, I got out my yupo and played with my Alcohol Inks.  I colored the background with inks and let them get all marbly - love it!  Then I used the skeleton stamp from the Retro Halloween set, inked it with 2 colors of  Archival inks, stamped on top of the alcohol inked yupo, then wiped the stamp clear to show the resist.  Cool!  I used the Measured Layering Stencil with alcohol Blending Solution to create the resist technique.  Once done, I used my sewing machine to stitch the yupo to my tag.  Then I embellished with Index Labels, Reinforcers (edged with Black Soot), Label Letters, Wishbones, a Mini Plaquette and Gallery Industrious stickers (both inked with the same Alcohol Inks), the inked Alpha Part, a Trinket Pin and some black brads.  To attach the wishbone to the trinket pin, I wrapped it with some silver wire that I inked with the Alcohol Inks.  I used some Distress Stains to dye the ribbon and added it to the tag.  I wanted the tag to look a bit more tattered and worn, so I distressed the edges with my distress tool and added some scratches to the yupo.  I finished with more Black Soot ink around the edges.  Note:  I deliberately used the numbers in the stencil, Plaquette, and Trinket Pin to get at the "spooky" 13 & 31 dates.  This was lots of fun to create - I got to use some of my alcohol inks, which I love, and try some new techniques!

Challenges Entered (Click on the Caption for the link):

12 Tags - September 2016
HLS - Distress














Supplies Used:
Tim Holtz Alcohol Inks:  Pitch Black and Butterscotch (SSS)
Tim Holtz Distress Paint:  RUSTY HINGEWild HoneyBlack Soot, and Tarnished Brass (SSS)
Distress Stain: Rusty Hinge and Vintage Photo  (SSS)
Distress Ink: Black Soot and Carved Pumpkin (SSS)
Archival Ink:  Jet Black (SSS) and Dandelion (Amazon)
Tim Holtz Reinforcers

Other:  silver wire, black enamel brads

12 comments:

  1. Ohhhh! Very cool, Patti! I have not used alcohol inks before. Great techniques. Thanks for playing along at HLS MM and thanks for the inspiration too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE that you used the skeleton! Awesome take!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh this guy is reaaaly distressed!!! love the techniques!!
    Thanx for joining us @ Happy Little Stamoers

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous spooky tag and you used some great techniques!
    Thanks for sharing with us at Happy Little Stampers, and I hope you will join us again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome tag!! The skeleton is awesome!! Love it

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this tag!! Your background is awesome! Congrats on your win!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job on the Tim techniques! Love your colors and choice of stamp and embellies! Huge congratulations on your well deserved win at Tim's!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great tag, congrats on your win at TH!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whoa... this spooky good! Congrats on your win!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats! I can't wait to see your October tag. This is just fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow! This is amazing. Love the color combo and the use of the bubbled alcohol ink effect with the resist technique. That skeleton is perfectly spooky. LOVE it! Congrats on your win on Tim's blog. Awesome make! -- Mary Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on your win for an AMAZING tag! XOXO

    ReplyDelete

I read all of your comments and truly appreciate them! Thank you.